Monday, October 6, 2008

Our first print run!



'OMG OMG OMG' - such was the soundtrack I provided to the girls during the last two hours we just spent in the studio. There's really nothing more exciting than screen printing one's own design onto fabric. By hand. In our own studio. And the fact that our very first run of test prints was almost perfect - was just the icing on the cake.


Lara's funny 'concentrating' facial expression


Tegan and Bianca at work

My excitement was only somewhat diminished by my inexperienced use of the high pressure water cleaner that left me (and everything else within the 'Dexter' curtain) covered head to toe in yellow ink whilst trying to clean the screen. But lessons were learnt, and all worked out in the end.


Clean screen behind the 'Dexter' curtain


Birch Forest screen ready to go (a little larger scale than before)

You can not imagine how much of a burden has been lifted from our shoulders to have that first run turn out so well. There have been so many fretful moments over the last few months. We've had some great guidance from yardage printing gurus around Australia ... but the end result was a sort of mish mash of everyone's advice which we just had to cross our fingers was going to be okay. And it was!


One test repeat of the wattle - looking good!!

Nice work, girls!

19 comments:

Jacqueline said...

so exciting!!! congratulations!!!! I laughed about the high pressure hose - gave myself the most amazing black eye when I was at art college cleaning out a screen. I was wearing heavy duty ear muffs and someone came in to talk to me. My hands were wet and when I went to remove the ear muffs they snapped shut in my face - thus the black eye. Funny but also pretty embarrassing. So pleased your first run went so well - you gals are really inspiring! Looking forward to putting my order in soon!!!

CurlyPops said...

All I can say is WOW.
The test run looks amazing. I didn't realise just how huge your screens are. Well done girls!

Anonymous said...

Its so exciting - well done! I'm very jealous of you squidging all that lovely ink! Good luck with your other test runs.

Kim Wallace :: Udessi said...

oh how exciting girls! Congrats on a successful test print run – it's looking fantastic!

Heids said...

YAY!!!!! What fab news - congrats on your test run - it looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see all your designs. Can't wait till you open up for business...even if I still haven't designed anything...

I am so excited for you girls.

Nathan said...

Fucking A, way to go gals.

Anonymous said...

looking good. Glad to hear that all the hard work is paying off. Can't wait to see more.

Betz White said...

Wow! What a great feeling that must be, congratulations! Can't wait to see more!

Tina said...

Ooooooo .... congratulations, it looks good.

Anonymous said...

Well done guys. An amazing achievement to set this business up from scratch. I hope to be a repeat customer!

Teegs said...

Thanks, all! It's awesome to read your feedback!!
We are of course still buzzing from the test repeat - it was pretty hard to leave the studio last night. In fact, if 2 of our other halves weren't there to drag us home, we'd probably still be hangin' out, doin' prints and stuff... *sigh* I wish we were there right now...

Penny said...

congrats! so exciting!

Leaves of the family tree said...

Very exciting! I love the prints. Hope you get into full swing now!
Can't wait for the next run.

Leslie said...

Congrats girls...the first run looks fab. I really look forward to seeing what beautiful fabrics you create.
So envious...!

Simmone said...

Wow you 3 chickas are so inspiring, congratulations on making your textilicious dreams a reality. Can't wait till your online store is up and running I will be one of your first customers for sure, the test prints are stunning. Lovin watching it all evolve through the blog too.

Iba said...

HI! Congratulations! It's great to see how fast and well you work together and how excited you are about it all! I work for the government and there is no comparison, believe me.
I am wondering how you made your screens? They're BIG. Did you have them made for you by a company that does automatic screenprinting?
Thanks and good luck, I look forward to putting in an order (I hope you'll ship to Europe).

Alicia said...

Wow, the whole screen printing thing is so beyond me, I have always admired it and this only proves how awesome it is. Great job, I can't wait to see more.

hexefish@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria said...

Congratultions, that's wonderful - fingers crossed only two weeks to go!!