Thursday, March 25, 2010

Organic cotton/hemp goodness

New unbleached organic fabrics
New unbleached cotton/hemp basecloth - oooooooooh

2010 seems to be the year for doing all those things we've been wanting to do for ages. Releasing a proper collection of textiles was one of those things, the other was to start printing exclusively on organic textiles and phase out our old cotton/linen basecloths.

The biggest challenge was finding a suitable replacement for the darker natural cotton/linen cloth. But finally we have!!!

old and new basecloths

The new unbleached organic cotton/hemp basecloth is just beautiful! We've printed quite a few runs on this basecloth now but we still go "oooooooooh" every time we do! It's just that little bit lighter than the natural, and all of our prints look so much better for it.

We're slowly working our way through the range so not everything has changed over yet, but here's what we've done so far:

Wrens in inky blue
Blue Wrens in Inky Blue

Ginkgo in snow & olive
Ginkgo in Snow & Olive

Lace Fans in robins egg
Lace Fans in Robins Egg

Ginkgo in snow & deep red
Ginkgo in Snow & Deep Red

Bonsai in deep red
Bonsai in Deep Red

We hope you like it as much as we do :)

16 comments:

Purple Paisley Patch said...

Love the new basecloth! The lighter colour definitely allows your gorgeous designs to sing. :-)

Andi said...

All so beautiful!!

yardage girl said...

I love it too and snapped it up as soon as it was released - beautiful to print on!

One Flew Over said...

EEEEKKKKK!!

Michelle said...

I've always been a huge HUGE fan of your older base cloth, but I think this one is even nicer! I'm looking forward to buying some to use in my bags.

Will you be selling the unprinted base cloth as well?

Fer said...

Mmmmm..... divine!!

Amy Badskirt said...

Awww shucks. I really liked how your designs worked against the darker basecloth. In particular the ginkos in real, green and white looks really fresh against the darker cloth. I'm hoping you occasionally find some for limited released!

Jacqueline said...

The robin's egg and deep red look particularly good and I agree the new basecloth really lifts some of the designs (esp. fans and bonsai) though as I have a whole role of gingko in olive and white on the old cloth I'm going to say it looks better on my version or I'll get upset!

britt said...

very beautiful designs! just makes me want to leave work, buy some new fabric, and sew in the sunlight.

Unknown said...

What a difference in the brightness in the base clothes! I love the blue inky design!


Organic Cotton Onesies

sanjeet said...

The lighter colour definitely allows your gorgeous designs to sing.
data entry work from home

Heather -Gathering Spriggs said...

I am new to Ink & Spindle but completely smitten. Your work, concept, and practice is amazing!! In fact, I have written a little feature of your shop on my design blog:
http://heathersthompson.typepad.com/gatheringspriggs/2010/03/shop-around-the-corner-ink-spindle.html

thanks for all that you do!! these new fabrics are divine!

Rosalind said...

they look fabulous! The birds really pop :-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nothing Sketchy said...

I make handmade journals and I have been looking for ages for hand printed, eco friendly fabrics made in Australia and yours are so beautiful. And very reasonably priced! I bought some today and I can't wait to use them for my journals!

Leigha said...

Okay, seriously...I am off to explore through your shop and fall completely in love with a textile {or two}.