Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blogtoberfest 13th - Lonsdale house

Yesterday my friend Maz sent me an email suggesting that we use our blogtoberfest blogging for a worthy cause. A great suggestion.

Most Melbournites have no doubt heard about the demolition plans for the beautiful art deco Lonsdale House....



Lonsdale House, earmarked for demolition

...to make way for Myer's redevelopment of their Lonsale St store. It's tragic. It's the beautiful older buildings that give our city it's character, and we only have 200 somewhat years of history to work with here peeps! Leave new development & glass facaded monstrosities to places like Docklands where there's no other option.

If you agree that Lonsdale House should be preserved then sign the petition NOW! It's going to be submitted to the Minister for Planning THIS FRIDAY 16th so it's your last chance.

Save Lonsdale House. Do it.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, unbelievable, I don't know how I have missed this, what is happening to our Melbourne. I've signed up and also posted on my blog. Thanks so much for telling the world.

Ren said...

Fantastic post. I didn't realise there was a petition avaialble - I've now signed it and will mail the link on to all my friends tomorrow.
It makes me sick that it's perfectly acceptable to knock anything old down at the moment to feed the wealth of developers. My street in the 'burbs has a lot of 40's housing currently being knocked down to make way for units.

Anonymous said...

What a shame, that's a beautiful building! I'm actually from Canada, but I signed the petition anyway, hopefully this charming old building can be saved.

DangAndBlast! said...

Sad - gorgeous building. Our closest one to that is here -- I drive by it all the time. Very nice style.